Monday, December 25, 2006

Winnipeg... bbbrrrrr

So I'm now with my wife. With her were most of her relatives in Canada (Zapanta side). She advises me to put on the winter wear. So I find the nearest washroom to wear my long johns. It's definitely something I have to get used to. So she gives me a hoodie, gloves and a jacket. I also have my sweater on. We now proceed to get my things from the conveyer belt. They are now in terrible shape. There's quite a rip on the side of one box so they note that something might have fallen off. We now exit the airport... That was quite a shock, especially to my face. Baguio ain't got nothing on this weather. Damn. I now also my first close-up glimpse of snow.

On the road, everything seems so alien to me. Lots of white stuff all over the place. I notice lots of trucking businesses in this area. There's very few cars on the road. And my first glimpse of driving discipline in Canada. There were absolutely no cars in the intersection, and non approaching. But we still waited at the intersection for the green light. Aside from that, I can't give too many observations since it's already dark outside. My mind's also spinning with the new environment and all.

We finally arrive at what I will call home for at least a few months. Everybody's there since they're expecting some of their stuff. They were visibly disappointed though, since most of it was left behind thanks to the NAIA incident.

We're gonna live in a bungalow type with a basement. There are 3 bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, living and dining room in the main floor. In the basement are 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, I guess a TV/living room (the main area) and laundry room. Additionally they have a covered 2 car garage (remote control door and all). I am now introduced to our room which is in the basement. My wife bought a cabinet in preparation for my arrival. We obviously need a shoe rack though. She also has a new portable heater since it still gets cold despite the central heating (the basement is the coldest place in any house). I also get introduced to the faucets. Here you can turn the levers in many ways to adjust temperature and pressure. Some even have just one knob for all functions. Sure, we have that too in the Philippines but I rarely encounter a properly working one. Although I've been told the water is potable, they still use a water purifier and dispenser here.

So there, the (literally) longest day in my life is coming to an end. 38 hours if my math is right. Close to 16 of which was spent in the air. Over 15 in airports. I left and arrived both on December 25. And after all that I realize that I didn't take a single picture. Crap. Oh well, what matters most is the picture below.

No comments: